---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DELPHI

A brief retrospection to our historical past –as well as the historical memory- will help us remember the facts that founded institutions and traced the ways that led to the development of the Greek civilization.

 

The institution of the Amphiktionies[1] is so old that the foundation of the first Amphiktionia is mixed up with the legend. According to the mythology, Amphiktion –son of Dephkalion and Pyrra and brother of Greek, founder of the nation of the Greeks- was the one who founded the first Amphiktionia.

The legendary origin of the institution has, by all means, a deeper meaning as in this way the ancient Greeks wanted to symbolize their national unity.

The foundation of the Amphiktionies was imposed by the necessity to face the problems which appeared between many Greek states-cities.

We can see political and military federations, unions of peaceful and military character, being formed. All of them included states-cities, the representatives of which assembled on a specific day in a common place. Those unions became known as “Amphiktionies” after the name of Amphiktion.

 

According to Ernesto Courto this institution had a great success on the political, social and national life of the Greeks. But what exercised a particular influence on the general political, religious and social constitution and evolution of our ancient ancestors was the Amphiktionia of Delphi. Its decisions were binding for the states-cities and their transgression always involved consequences.

The Amphiktion congress assembled twice a year. In the spring they assembled at Delphi, where was the sanctuary of Apollo and in the autumn at Anthili, a city near Thermopilaes. After the third holy war, they assembled every spring at Delphi.

The Amphiktion congress was constituted by two representatives, sent by each state-city member. In a way it was a Super Parliament which took decisions on any case the Amphiktiones were interested in. It also had the right to declare war not only against enemy cities and tribes but also against cities members of the Amphiktionia when they didn’t comply with the decisions of the Congress.

During the conduct of the war the congress charged a city-member with the order to punish the undisciplined ones. The two ambassadors, sent by each city-member to the Congress were of two kinds: The HIEROMNIMONES and the PYLAGORES or AGORATRES.

 

The HIEROMNIMONES had the supervision and handling of the property of the sanctuaries, they were responsible for the preparation of the Pythia’s contests and other festivities, they kept a watchful eye on the enforcement of the Law and on the exemplary punishment of the sacrilegious ones. The PYLAGORES were characterized as good public speakers, they were jurists and they introduced and voted the laws.

 

The two parties were in session in the same building but they pronounced their judgments separately. Apart from their ministerial religious duties the Amphiktiones had also judicial powers on the disagreements that came up between the cities-members but between individuals, as well. According to the ancient determination they were ‘elected judges from many cities’. They were under an oath to take decisions with sense of justice according to the written laws and whenever the laws could not cover some cases they judged according to their conscience. 

 

Dionysus from Halicarnassus mentioned that there were Amphiktion’s written laws that settled the fundamental rights and duties of the Congress. Later the laws were broadened with ‘more provisions’.

So we can pride ourselves on the fact that thousands of years ago Amphiktiones enacted the first Rules of the International Law that settled and solved the disagreements between the cities-states of that time and in this way they became the pioneers of today’s UNO.

 

The Congress maintained its power as long as the Sanctuary of Apollo flourished in Delphi.

After the Roman Empire abolished the Greek State, its power started to weaken slowly but steadily. The Congress suffered a severe blow in 168 b.C. when Sillas demanded the treasures of the Sanctuary of Apollo to be given to him by the congressmen-Amphiktiones.

During the time of Pausanias the hieromnimones were 30 but the power of the Amphiktionia was so weak that the great public speaker Demosthenes called it ironically ‘the Delphi shadow’, while speaking on Pnyka.

 

The Congress experienced a slight revival when Adriano was the emperor and he built a new habitation for the congresses in Delphi. But the Congress was gradually weakened and after the time of the Antoninos it ceased existing and it never revived again.

 

At the flourishing period of the Congress money was coined. Only two types of the coins of Amphiktionies were preserved.

The first type of coins had goddess Demitra in a mantle, on one side and Apollo holding laurel-branch and having his lyre at his feet, on the other and had the inscription: ‘AMPHIKTIONES’. The second type had again Demitra in a mantle on one side and on the other side it had the Navel of the World encircled by a snake – apparently dragon Python.

Those coins were silver and were usually coined during the Delphi festivities at Pythia, as well as at the end of the victorious Holy Wars.

 

With the prevalence of Christianism and its rapid spreading in Greece, the Sanctuary of Apollo in Delphi –as well as other idolatrous centers- started to decline.

The decree of the Emperor Theodosius the great, gave the decisive blow to all the sanctuaries, the Sanctuary of Apollo in Delphi, included.

 

The Congress of Amphiktiones ceased existing and Pythia’s Word was silenced, when the sanctuary was abolished but the morals of the Amphiktiones will keep enlightening the peoples and will always be the lighthouse of the spiritual orientation of the humanity.

 

Translation: A. Asimakopoulou

 


[1] The word Amphiktionies comes from the ancient word: ‘Amphiktion’ that means: neighbor. 

 

 

ΜΕΣΟΛΟΓΓΙ

Το Μεσολόγγι είναι η πρωτεύουσα του νομού Αιτωλοακαρνανίας με περίπου 18.000 κατοίκους, κτισμένο στην είσοδο του Πατραϊκού κόλπου, ανάμεσα στις εκβολές των ποταμών Ευήνου και Αχελώου.Υπάρχουν πολλές εκδοχές για την ονομασία του με επικρατέστερη αυτή που υποστηρίζει ότι προέρχεται από το ιταλικό mezzo laghi, που σημαίνει «αυτό που είναι ανάμεσα σε λίμνες».
Η Ιερή Πόλη του Μεσολογγίου (όπως ανακηρύχθηκε στις 22 Απριλίου του 1937, με απόφαση του Βασιλέως Γεωργίου του Β’), εμφανίζεται στην ιστορία τον 16ο αιώνα, πριν από την ναυμαχία της Ναυπάκτου, που έγινε το 1571.

Στα προχριστιανικά χρόνια στην περιοχή δέσποζαν τρεις πόλεις: η Καλυδώνα, η Πλευρώνα και η Αλίκυρνα.

Οι πρώτοι του κάτοικοι ήταν Δαλματοί πειρατές και ψαράδες. Κατοικούσαν σε αχυροκαλύβες (πελάδες) στημένες πάνω σε χοντρά παλούκια μέσα στη λιμνοθάλασσα. Την εποχή της Τουρκοκρατίας ήταν ένα σπουδαίο συγκοινωνιακό κέντρο, γιατί για να προωθήσουν στρατό οι Τούρκοι από τη Δυτική Στερεά στη Πελοπόννησο έπρεπε να κατέχουν το Μεσολόγγι.

Δύο πολιορκίες άντεξε το πρόχειρο οχυρωματικό έργο (μια τάφρος μήκους 1600 μ, πλάτους 2,80 μ, και βάθους 1,60 μ). Η πρώτη πολιορκία, τον Οκτώβριο του 1822 όπου οι επιτυχημένες ενέργειες του Μαυροκορδάτου, του Μάρκου Μπότσαρη και του Γιάννη Γούναρη συντέλεσαν να αποκρουστεί η προγραμματισμένη έφοδος των Τούρκων τα Χριστούγεννα του 1822 και να αποσύρουν να στρατεύματά τους.


Στις 24 Δεκεμβρίου 1823 έφτασε στο Μεσολόγγι ως εκπρόσωπος την Αγγλικής Φιλελληνικές Εταιρείας ο Λόρδος Βύρων. Σημαντική προσωπικότητα της εποχής του, ο ιδιόρρυθμος ρομαντικός ποιητής Βύρων έμελλε να συνδέσει το έργο και την ζωή του με το Μεσολόγγι.

Η συγκλονιστικότερη σελίδα της Ελληνικής Επανάστασης γράφτηκε ακριβώς στη ηρωική πόλη του Μεσολογγίου.Τον Απρίλιο του 1825 με εντολή του Σουλτάνου άρχισε η δεύτερη πολιορκία με επικεφαλής τον Κιουταχή. Οι αλλεπάλληλες επιθέσεις και το συνεχές πυρ δεν πτόησαν τους πολιορκημένους που δεχόταν ανεφοδιασμό από τη θάλασσα από τον ελληνικό στόλο που διέσπασαν τον κλοιό των Τούρκων.

Η άφιξη του τουρκοαιγυπτιακού στόλου και οι ενισχύσεις του στρατού του Ιμπραήμ Πασά, το Δεκέμβριο του 1825, χειροτέρευσαν τη θέση της λιμοκτονούσας φρουράς και του άμαχου πληθυσμού. Οι πολιορκημένοι αποφάσισαν να επιχειρήσουν την Έξοδο, τη νύχτα της 10ης Απριλίου 1826. Η αποφασιστική κίνηση και τα όλο σχέδιο προδόθηκαν και οι πολιορκημένοι αποδεκατίστηκαν, σκόρπισαν, ελάχιστοι σώθηκαν, ενώ ο θρυλικός πρόκριτος Χρήστος Καψάλης ανατίναξε τη πυριτιδαποθήκη μαζί με τους ανήμπορους και μεγάλο τμήμα του εχθρού. Η πτώση και η ηρωική Έξοδος του Μεσολόγγιου πρόσθεσε μεγάλη δόξα στον Ελληνικό Αγώνα, αλλά και ξεσήκωσε τους πολιτισμένους λαούς σε μια σταυροφορία για την απελευθέρωση του Έθνους. Τη θλιβερή αυτή ανάμνηση γιορτάζει το Μεσολόγγι κάθε χρόνο την Κυριακή των Βαΐων.

Το 19ο αιώνα στα πολιτικά πράγματα της χώρας έπαιξαν σημαντικό ρόλο και πέντε πρωθυπουργοί, που όλοι τους Τρικούπη, Ζηνόβιο Βάλβη, Δημήτριο Βάλβη, Επαμεινώνδα Δεληγιώργη και Χαρίλαο Τρικούπη, οι οποίοι ως πρωθυπουργοί κυβέρνησαν, αλληλοδιαδόχως, τη χώρα. Επίσης το Μεσολόγγι μας έδωσε τους ποιητές Κωστή Παλαμά, Γεώργιο Δροσίνη, Μιλτιάδη Μαλακάση, Ρήγα Γκόλφη, Αντώνη Τραυλαντώνη και άλλους που τίμησαν τα ελληνικά γράμματα.

Στο Μεσολόγγι λειτούργησε και το πρώτο δικαστήριο της Ελεύθερης Ελλάδας.

Σήμερα, το Μεσολόγγι εξακολουθεί να ζει ακόμη με τη αίγλη της ιστορίας του. Στο κέντρο της πόλης στο παλιό Δημαρχείο, το οποίο φιλοξενεί το Μουσείο Ιστορίας και Τέχνης, εκτίθενται προσωπογραφίες οπλαρχηγών και φιλελλήνων, νομίσματα, μετάλλια και όπλα αυθεντίες γκραβούρες του 1837, οι προτομές των 5 Μεσολογγιτών Πρωθυπουργών, αυθεντικοί πίνακες και αντίγραφα έργων μεγάλων ζωγράφων, Ελλήνων και ξένων, με θέμα το ηρωικό Μεσολόγγι. Στον Κήπο των Ηρώων, όπου με απόφαση του Καποδίστρια, τον Μάιο του 1829, ανεγέρθηκε ο Τύμβος, όπου τοποθετήθηκαν τα συγκεντρωμένα κόκαλα των αγωνιστών της ελευθερίας, υπάρχουν ο ανδριάντας του Λόρδου Βύρωνα, ο τάφος του Μάρκου Μπότσαρη, το μνημείο των Φιλελλήνων και άλλα μνημεία οπλαρχηγών και πεσόντων της ηρωικής φρουράς.

Περπατώντας στα δρομάκια της πόλης ανακαλύπτεις μικρούς θησαυρούς όπως: ιστορικές εκκλησίες που μαρτυρούν τη βαθιά θρησκευτικότητα των κατοίκων, παλιά αρχοντικά (των Τρικούπηδων, του Ζηνοβιού Βάλβη, του Παλαμά κ.α.) και νεοκλασικά σπίτια του 19ου αιώνα, τα οποία έχουν χαρακτηριστεί διατηρητέα, δείχνοντας τον εκλεπτυσμό που κυριαρχούσε ανέκαθεν στην πόλη.

Σε ένα από αυτά είχε στεγαστεί το πρώτο τυπογραφείο το οποίο διεύθυνε ο Ελβετός Φιλέλληνας Ιάκωβος Μάγερ.

Ιστορικό και το Μοναστήρι του Αη-Συμιού, εκεί όπου γράφτηκε ο τραγικός επίλογος της ηρωικής Εξόδου. Κάθε χρόνο ανήμερα της Πεντηκοστής, αρματωμένοι και έφιπποι, με συνοδεία από νταούλια και ζουρνάδες τιμούν την ηρωική επέτειο.

Στη λιμνοθάλασσα ξεχνιέσαι στο ηλιοβασίλεμα που ροδίζει τις γραφικές πελάδες και τις μικρές ψαρόβαρκες (γάιτες και πριάρια). Σ’ αυτή λειτουργούν φυσικά ιχθυοτροφεία, που παράγουν τα περίφημα μεσολογγίτικα ψάρια όπως κέφαλος (από τα θηλυκά ψάρια βγάζουν το μεσολογγίτικο αυγοτάραχο), τσιπούρες, λαβράκια, χοβιούς, μιξινάρια, χέλια κ.α. Το υπόλοιπο της λιμνοθάλασσας έχει κηρυχτεί υδροβιότοπος, προστατευόμενος από την Συνθήκη Ραμσάρ.

Στα παλιά γραφικά καφενεδάκια, και στα πολλά ουζάδικα της Πόλης μπορεί κάποιος να απολαύσει μοναδικούς μεσολογγίτικους μεζέδες. (Το «πετάλι» κέφαλο ανοιγμένο στα δύο και ψημένο στη σχάρα, «τις λίγδες» μικρές παστές τσιπούρες, τα χέλια στα κάρβουνα).

Η ευχάριστη έκπληξη είναι τα εκατοντάδες ποδήλατα στους δρόμους, από ανθρώπους όλων των ηλικιών, μια και το ποδήλατο είναι το δημοφιλέστερο μέσο μετακίνησης για τους κατοίκους της πόλης. Το Μεσολόγγι δεν είναι μόνο η πόλη με την βαριά ιστορική κληρονομιά, Είναι η σύγχρονη, ζωντανή πόλη με την φρεσκάδα που χαρίζει ο νεαρόκοσμος. Αλλά και με την έντονη πνευματικότητα, που συνεχίζει επάξια την ιστορική της πορεία.

Ελένη Χολέβα 

Εκπαιδευτικός Δ.Ε.

 

MESSOLONGHI

Messolonghi is the capital city of the prefecture of Etoloakarnania with about 18000 inhabitants.It is built at the entrance of Patra bay, between the mouths of the rivers Evinos and Acheloos. There are many versions for its name but the prevalent one is that which supports that it comes from the Italian mezzo laghi, which means: ‘the place that is between the lakes’.

The Holy City of Messolonghi (as it was proclaimed on 22nd of April, 1937, by decision of King George the 2nd), appears in History in the 16th century, before the naval battle of Lepanto, in 1571.

In the pre-Christian times three were the cities that dominated the region: Kalidona, Plevrona, and Alikrina.

The first inhabitants were Dalmatian pirates and fishermen. They dwelled in huts made of straw (pelades), set up on thick poles in the lagoon.

In the times of Turkish occupation it was an important transport centre, because if the Turks wanted to forward their army from Western Greece to Peloponnese they had to occupy Messolonghi. 

Messolonghi, with its roughly-made fortifications (a ditch 1600m long, 2,80m wide and 1,60m deep) withstood two sieges. The first siege was in October, 1822. Then, Mavrokordatos, Markos Mpotsaris and Giannis Gounaris, through their successful efforts, contributed to the repulse of the planned assault of the Turks at Christmas, 1822 and forced them to withdraw their troops.

On December, 24th, 1823, Lord Byron, a very important personality of that time, arrived at Messolonghi as a representative of the English Philhellenic Company. Byron, a very peculiar and romantic poet, was destined to tie his work and life with this town.

The most shocking page of the Greek Revolution was written at the very town of Messolonghi. In April, 1825 the second siege of the town started, by order of the sultan under the lead of Kioutachis. The besieged citizens were not intimidated by the repeated attacks or the running fire. They were supplied by the Greek fleet which broke through the enemy sea blockade.

When the Turkish and Egyptian fleet arrived as well as the reinforcement of the army of Impraim Pasha, on December 1825, the conditions became worse for the starving guards and the civilians. The besieged ones decided to attempt the exodus, on the night of April the 10th 1826. Their decisive movement and the whole plan were betrayed. The besieged ones were decimated, they dispersed and few of them were saved. Christos Kapsalis, the legendary notable, blew up the powder-magazine with the ailing and a big number of the enemies. The fall and the heroic exodus of Messolonghi added a new glorious page to the Greek fight for freedom, but also roused the civilized peoples to a crusade for the liberation of the Nation. Messolonghi celebrates this sad memory every year on Palm Sunday.

In the 19th century, five prime ministers from Messolonghi ruled, sequentially, over Greece and played a very important role on the politics.They were Spiridon Trikoupis, Charilaos Trikoupis, Zinovios Valvis, Dimitrios Valvis and Epaminondas Deligiorgis. Also the poets Kostis Palamas, George Drosinis, Miltiades Malakasis, Rigas Golfis, Antonis Travlantonis and others, come from Messolonghi.

The first law court of free Greek was created in Messolonghi.

Today Messolonghi keeps living with its glorious history. In the centre of the town there is the Museum of History and Art, in the old Town Hall, where portraits of the chieftains and philhellenes are exhibited, as well as coins, medals, guns, genuine engravings of 1837, the busts of the five prime ministers from Messolonghi, genuine paintings and reproductions of important Greek and foreign painters on the heroic Messolonghi. In the garden of the Heroes, the tomb with the bones of the fighters was erected with Kapodistria’s decision in May, 1829. In the garden one can also see the statue of Lord Byron, the grave of Markos Mpotsaris, the monument of the Philhellenes and other monuments of chieftains and the decedent heroic guard.  

Strolling in the streets of the town one can find out small treasures such as historical churches which attest to the deep religiosity of the dwellers, old mansions which belonged to Trikoupis family, to Zinovios Valvis, to Palamas and others, and neoclassic houses which have been listed as scheduled buildings. All this attests to the refinement of the town.

The first printing house managed by the Swiss philhellenes Mayer, was roofed in one of the neoclassic houses.

The historic monastery of Saint Symeon was the place where the tragic epilogue of the heroic exodus was written. Every year on the day of Pentecost armed men on horseback accompanied by the sounds of tabors and clarinets honor the heroic anniversary. 

In the lagoon of Messolonghi one can admire the sunset which gives color to the picturesque pelades[1] and the small fishing boats (gaites and priaria). In the lagoon there are fish farms which give the famous fish of Messolonghi as mullet, the eggs of which give the fish-roe, dorado, bass fish, eels etc. Part of the lagoon has been declared a wetland protected by the Ramsar Convention.

The visitor can taste the unique fish snacks in the old traditional taverns with ouzo.

The pleasant surprise comes from the hundreds of bicycles in the streets, ridden by people of all the ages as bicycle is the most popular means of transport for the dwellers. Messolonghi is not only the town with the important historical heritage but a contemporary, vivid town with many young people, as well. And it continues its historical course with its intense spirituality.

                                                                    Translation: Asimakopoulou Anastasia

 


[1]Small wooden houses on poles

 

 

top